by Jason Nadeau
This is a time many in the world find challenging. Honestly, it is challenging.
What do we do as spiritual and magickal people?
We need to start with taking care of ourselves. Journal. Meditate. Eat healthy. Rest. Talk to friends, even if only at a distance or online and by phone. Take time to be alone. Do your art. Maintain whatever the healthy balance is for you physically, mentally, spiritually, and socially. Remember who we are and that we will get through this.
Of course, many of the people we meet are also in need of that same care, but they might not know how or even that they need it. After all, everyone else they meet is also in the same state. The fear and trauma are both palpable and contagious.
To be a calming presence for others there are a few key things we can do:
- Center and balance yourself before interacting with others.
- Look at others when you are talking with them.
- Remember that whatever they have going on is not about you. This is more difficult with people you really care about personally and that’s ok because it’s a different relationship
- See past their surface stuff, they are made physically and energetically of the same stuff you are, even if they don’t know it.
- Recognize that they have gotten through everything they have gotten through and somehow adapted to become who they are through all of that. That adaptive process is itself beautiful
- Listen to them with love and compassion.
- Remember it’s appropriate for you to set boundaries and that we can’t help everyone. Likewise, respect boundaries that others set for you.
- Give yourself clearance and balance after the interaction.
All of this can happen in under a minute or in interactions that span several hours. Recognize that this takes effort to do, so be gentle on yourself and take time for yourself if you are doing this. We can bring a little more light into the world by being a light for others in challenging times. In the process we can also make our own world a little brighter.
Jason is a Licensed Massage Therapist and Bodyworker in Rye, New Hampshire. He is also a Mystery School Student and Deputy Minister for the Taurus Ministry in the Temple of Witchcraft.